Social Media

Life Before Yurts and Tie-dye Shirts

|

I can't quite pinpoint the exact moment I knew camp was something I wanted to do, I feel like it's something I've always been waiting to be old enough for. I remember seeing older friends returning home from their summers in the States; my Facebook timeline teeming with posts and photos of their adventures, like something straight out of a movie. Eighteen in Scotland is an exciting age for a lot of reasons, but for me it meant finally being able to apply for camp.

Camp Counselor certainly didn't have the same job description as any job I'd had in the past. However, I feel like those of us who thrive at camp share similar characteristics. A love for kids is a given, but the ability to be loud and silly without fear of embarrassment is something I've never lacked. After doing some research and attending an information session, I felt confident that I was a good candidate.

The application process initially seemed long, and while at university it was easy to brush aside for more urgent matters (Shimmy). However, once you get past the basic questions about yourself, write a paragraph promoting your abilities and film a short video (cringey but recommended) all that's left is the interview, which really is like going for coffee with a friend. My interviewer told me about 'recruitment fairs' hosted by CA; where camps come to Scotland to hire people, and suggested that it was the easiest way to get placed. 

By the time the fair came it was January, aka exam time, and as a highly qualified procrastinator, this gave me an excuse to spend my 'study time' researching the summer camps going to the fair. Out of the 200 camps attending, 1 immediately stood out. I spent the next week stalking their social media; dreaming about working there. When the day finally arrived, I ran to the line for Camp Burgess and Hayward and I've never looked back.


Me after being placed at my dream camp


If you want to apply, feel free to check out my Application Tips Video, where I explain the whole process. 
2 comments on "Life Before Yurts and Tie-dye Shirts"
  1. Do you mind me asking how much you made from the camp? I get the impression the camps pay peanuts.

    Do you have a Twitter page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross, in your first year you don't make a lot however the years following that you do make a good amount for a summer job. In terms of the wage to hour ratio its not great however I don't think anyone who goes to camp does it for the money. Plus, at most camps you'll get your accommodation and food free for 3 months whilst living in America, so you can't really complain! I'd say its a pretty sweet deal, I'd do it for free tbh :)

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9